Animators by day Animation teachers by night.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Shot Polish


I wanted to post this very small list of polish techniques that I do which was previously posted on CG-Char. There is a link at the bottom of the page. Polish for me, is so many different things. After you get your shot out of blocking, it can be said that you spend the rest of your time putting the polish on it. Things like getting the physicality correct, working out the arcs, getting that "computery look" out. Polish is so much more than pulling tangent handles in the spline editor. It really has to do with making your shot cross that line into the realm where it becomes Alive! I'd love to hear what people have to say about this. I am putting a class together on the subject, and it is always great to hear what people are thinking.

-Andrew

http://splinedoctors.com/stuff/polish1.pdf

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

does polishing ever end ? that's what I wonder :-)

In the last 3 or 4 weeks at AM I've been doing nothing but polish the same shot, over and over again, week after week. And there have always been things to tweak and finish and redo. Finger overlaps, subtle eye stuff, finess the arcs in the wrist .. argh .. and although I've already submitted my "final" version, I know there are still areas where I could improve stuff !!

so .. yes, polish should be the last thing - becaue it never ends ! That's my humble newbie animator perspective anyway :-)

Keep this site up people - it's AWESOME !!

(and thanks for allowing non-bloggers to post!)

HOOONK -

Lluis

12:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great check list!

Love the blog fellerz!

1:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rock on!
never enough tips on polishing...
keep this blog running!

1:54 AM

 
Blogger Schulz'y said...

snooze you lose my friend. you can have sloppy seconds, and you should put more detail into the anatomy of the prank...mine was mainly tied into a previous post.

9:40 AM

 
Blogger Prince Nez said...

I just started my career as CG Animator a year ago and I must say that the polish phase is to me the most frightening moment in the process (technically wise)....I even sometime find myself adding some more stepped in-betweens in order to push that moment away....until the deadline starts breathing a rotten and icy air on the back of my neck....

please Spline Doctors....TELL ME!...does that "FEAR OF THE POLISH PHASE" disappear with the time and experience.

3:11 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Gordon said...

please Spline Doctors....TELL ME!...does that "FEAR OF THE POLISH PHASE" disappear with the time and experience.


Well, I can tell you that you do get more confident with what to do. Every shot has its peaks and valleys of stress. The polish part for me is where I really get into the shot. The blocking phase for me can be a little more difficult. It will get easier with time though. Keep at it!

4:31 PM

 
Blogger Free SMS API Providers said...

Programmable SMS is responsible for making developers sleep at night peacefully. With thousands of users signing up to apps and websites, programmable SMS is used to send verification codes, OTPs, and alerts to them in real-time reducing human effort.

6:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home