Animators by day Animation teachers by night.

Friday, November 11, 2005

I Say- Good Show, Very Good Show.


JG Quintel's "The Naive Man from Lolliland"- has got to be my favorite animated short of the year. I first saw it at this past years' Cal Arts Producers' Show. There were many good films, but this simple story about a Lollypop in a restaurant blew me away. I spoke with Quintel after the show and he explained that he conceptualized, recorded, and boarded the short in 2 days. He then spent the rest of the semester cleaning it up. I think this process is part of why I like the film so much. There are some raw drawings that are really funny and tell the story just as well as some of the more polished animation. The result is something rare in animation- a feeling of spontinaety. Quintel owes a lot to voice actor (and fellow student), Sam Marin who provides textured and nuanced vocal performances. The vocal track sets the stage for some gems of acting to be mined, and thankfully Quintel takes full advantage. His animation is confident but never inapropriately showy.

This short is weird and not for all tastes. But for me, it's pure gold. Not since Naploeon Dynamite has there been so many memorable lines. "Let me get my billfold", "Bad Show", "Gentleman I take my leave" and countless others than I can't help but chuckle when I think of them.

I do hope that one day "These United States" and The Naive Man from Lolliland can become friends.

He're hoping we see more films from this amazing talent. Good Show.

It's featured on the third Animation Podcast from Channel Frederator(about halfway though)

The rest of the podcasts can be downloaded here

Enjoy-
Dr. A

6 Comments:

Blogger Tony Papesh said...

Dear God,

Thank you for blessing me with this extravaganza of jollies.



Your pal,
Tony.

8:36 PM

 
Blogger Alex Orrelle said...

You guys... I can't believe I only found your blog now. What a gold mine!

A great way to stay in touch.

Take good care and keep it up!
Alexo

11:40 PM

 
Blogger Rico said...

Channel Frederator is a great podcast. I subscribe to it and enjoy watching it on my ipod video. Thanks for the blog and the great advice docs.

9:27 AM

 
Blogger Fred Seibert said...

Thanks for your kind comments about our venture, Channel Frederator

8:53 PM

 
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

Thats really great :)

Bathroom Review
Rocketry

4:02 PM

 
Blogger samacleod said...

I was just talking to Sam Marin today,wondering myself, asking him how he did all of those voices. He just smiled. I mean, really, when you meet him, it's hard to imagine because he doesn't talk much, but then when you see and hear him acting out one of his animated characters he's somebody else.

I love it, too. JG's past films are all great too. Do you remember the baby getting stuck in the claw machine?

10:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home