Animators by day Animation teachers by night.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

To Spline or Not to Spline? - A Podcast


Our First Podcast!

I was listening to The Animation Podcast the other day with Eamonn Butler, and he was talking about how he only uses linear knots to animate with. This has been a point of debate among animators since I have been in the industry. I also knew a guy who animated arms with IK always on. We thought he was crazy...Anyway, I thought I would ask around and see what some of the other Docs said. So, presenting our first, and maybe last, podcast. I dont think there is a definite answer and I think both methods have merrit. Especially if you are going for a certain style. So, here it is... I may have gotten carried away with garage-band a bit...


Spline or Line

ps. safari may open it as a text file. Right click to download. Usually plays great in itunes...

8 Comments:

Blogger Clay Kaytis said...

I love it! Thanks for putting this out guys. I hope it's the first in a long run of SplineCasts.

10:18 AM

 
Blogger blabla said...

Hehe great stuff!
Not only informative but also very entertaining! Many thnx!

1:52 PM

 
Blogger Amelia Lorenz said...

COol! Another podcast about animation! I really liked this, so you guys should keep them coming. Since I don't know ANY computer animator lingo (I don't even know what a spline is!) I was a little lost, but I'll learn all that soon enough!

Keep it up!

a

3:36 PM

 
Blogger erica said...

Really enlightening! A lot of animators I know shy away from splines during the blocking phase; they say it tends to cause floaty-looking animation (but you guys don't seem to have that problem!).

I usually use a method similar to Mike V, using stepped blocking and assymetrical splines later. Although (gasp!) I've never learned how to properly animate with FK arms. I'm another one who's always got IK switched on... perhaps it's time to learn!

Great podcast! Looking forward to more. :)

5:24 PM

 
Blogger Reynel Martinez said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:17 PM

 
Blogger Rico said...

Thanks and good to know how other animators work. I hope this the beginning of something new. I like the "SplineCasts", keep'em coming.

8:22 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Gordon said...

I don't really know if we want the site to be about the entertainment biz. Spline doctors is about animation education and just being an animator. Sure, we could do a big podcast about every detail of what happened yesterday, but that would not be cool.

I feel alot better about everything after John talked to some of the animators after work. I think it will be a positive thing. Everyone involved in the deal rally cares about Pixar. Its also great for Disney animation.

-Andrew

8:53 AM

 
Blogger the clownninja said...

please do more of this...I neeeed lurning

9:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home