Animators by day Animation teachers by night.

Friday, December 02, 2005

How to be a good animator?

I've been getting a few e-mails lately asking the question "How do I become a good animator?" Well to tell you the truth I don't know. There really is no trick, or tip that I can give you that would make you a good animator. I think being a good animator lies within each individual if they are going to be good, great, or not so great. The only real advice is that it's tons of hard work, and constant work. I've been living and breathing animation since I was five. Everyday all day I live animation. I spend ten or more hours at work animating, I go home and work on my own animation projects, I teach animation, I think about animation all the time. Eating dinner I might find myself more interested in the way the tip of my wife's nose moves when she talks rather than what she is talking about, or observing the mannerisms of the waiter when they are telling me about the specials. Watching T.V. I'm constantly breaking down actions, and acting. Everyday I live animation. I'm always working at trying to become a better animator, and it's hard. I think to become a good animator; animation has to be your passion. You really have to be into it, and willing to devote a large portion of your life to learning animation. I'm still trying to figure out how to animate well. What I struggle with is even after all this work and time trying to be a good animator is realizing that I may never be a great animator. In the end being good is a product of how much work you can put into it and how easy it is for you to make the connections between real world observations and the application of animation.
Besides hard work and dedication, finding a good mentor that you can learn from is key.

-Dr. Stephen G.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Hagen said...

OCD is what you just described...but I think you're right about everything you said. I too find myself observing everything. Even when I shouldn't some times. Can't help it really. And quite honestly, if what someone is saying to me is that important then they'll say it again:)

4:24 PM

 
Blogger Mike Thompson said...

Careful...I wouldn't confuse OCD, a serious and sometimes debilitating mental malady, with what Dr. Stephen G. described. I know someone very close to me that actually suffers a tremendous amount of stress from this condition. I would more aptly describe this as someone who's passionate about his craft, plain and simple. BTW, I often look at my wife's nose with great fondness as she eats, talks, and even snores because, well, it's just so doggone cute. (Ryan...I KNOW you didn't mean anything by your comment. Anytime mental illness is discussed lightly, as you have done, I feel the need to give some kind of response--you never know who may be reading this blog--maybe someone with OCD.)

5:08 PM

 
Blogger David Urresti Chiu said...

Agree Dr. Stephen,
The only way to become better animator is the hard hard hard work and dedication.....

7:56 PM

 
Blogger Alex Orrelle said...

Nice post, Stephen. I'll quote it if you don't mind!
Hope you and yours are well and enjoying life!

Alexo

3:36 AM

 
Blogger Stephen Gregory said...

Hey Alex!

It's been a long time. Hope everything is well with you. Everything is going just great here, it never changes.

-stephen

8:41 AM

 
Blogger Cyrus Cords said...

Up to the very second before reading this article I thought there was something very wrong with myself, but now I know that I am just an animator. Now I can sleep.

Great read... my wifes nose moves like a demon when she is mad.

12:14 PM

 
Blogger gutarthing.. said...

u've made a confused mind clear via your blog.....thanks a ton...

8:04 PM

 
Blogger susan said...

Out of time? Don’t worry and let your economics Homework be handled by us. The incredible Economics Homework Help services are provided by TOP ACADEMIC TUTORS. We provide you with the service so that if you are having problems in understanding and completing your Homework then you can simply leave it with us so that with the help of professional tutors and writers, we can complete your Homework and deliver it to you. We know about the problems that students face in completing the Homework. We only have one motive and that is to help students achieve high marks through helping with their Homework. Economics Homework Help
live assignment help

10:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home