Animators by day Animation teachers by night.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Annecy Links


I was going to give an update about the stuff I saw at Annecy, but Cartoon Brew beat me to it. The most memorable film I saw was Peter and the Wolf by Suzie Templeton. It was a stop motion film. It was about 30 minutes. I was in awe watching the film. The overall feeling was great. The cinematography was also amazing. It was a different take on the classic story. One thing that really impressed me was the lack of expressions that Peter had. When I say he had a lack of expressions, I mean that they did not animate from one to the next. All you needed to know about what the character was feeling was told with one pose. I really felt for the characters in the film. Ultimately, the film won the Annecy Cristal award and audience favorite. I think this is due to the strong story. For me, it really does come down to how the story is told. I cant sit through alot of films because they just have no point. Ok, maybe they were done with some strange method, but I want to be transported. Peter and the Wolf did this for me. Here is the link from cartoon brew:

annecy on cartoonbrew

9 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin De Schrijver said...

Would be interesting to hear some examples about what you mean with "I cant sit through alot of films because they just have no point".

Wish I could go to annecy, but I just can't afford it.

5:20 PM

 
Blogger DV said...

Hi Andrew!

It was nice meeting you at Annecy and thanks for some behind the scene sneak peeks at animating on Ratatouille. I especially enjoied the posing references. The animation on Rat is really top notch and it must be easy to get lost with such pliable characters. These posing studies really helped me, so thanks!

I also went to Ross and Patty´s talk and it was evenly informative, though quite a bit shorter. It´s really cool of Pixar to share some knowledge with aspiring animators (or were you just luring us in for the Renderman sales talk? -jk)

Benjamin, Annecy doesn´t have to cost much. Festival fee is only 53 euros for students, which must make it the cheapest festival ever. The campsite was something like 45 euros and the trip (from Holland) cost me 65 euros. If you plan it well, it can be very affordable.

6:04 AM

 
Blogger Fränk Spalteholz said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:00 AM

 
Blogger Fränk Spalteholz said...

Hi everyone!

Unfortunatly i had no time for annecy this year, so i have only seen the you-tube-sneak-peek about "Peter and the Wolf", but it must be indeed a great short!

I feel very sorry for the fact that so less stop-motion-movies can be seen and i'm not sure what the reasons are. Old-fassion? No way! ... Too expensive? Maybe ... Hard to animate? For real! ...

Especially here in Germany it is not very popular, although (in my opinion) it is the most complex kind of making a animated film. There is no "undo" and animation itself it so damn hard, becourse of the almost straight ahead technique. But look to Wallace & Gromit (especially the second part) and what the hell they got animated awesomely!!!

You can ask: why should i twiggle all that stuff together by hand when i can do the same picture (or even looking better) with the computer? I've worked for nearly one year in a stop-motion-studio and boy it was so amazing! All stages with real puppets, real sets, real light and all that stuff gave you a real(!) feeling of the world and i really miss that certain felling during animating in 3D. And maybe that's the reason why sometimes cg-movies are not able to take you into that world/story because if you as an animator can't feel it, how shell the audience?

So keep stop-motion alive!

cheers frank

9:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, Dr. Gordon, you're the best=)

4:35 PM

 
Blogger Olivier Ladeuix said...

we only paid 200 euros for a small flat for 1 week, 100 meters from the Lac and 10 meters away from a great cheese shop ;-)

Olive

3:41 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Guys. This is really a notice to the guys that made The Virgin Voyage. You have been put onto 3DTotals shorts reel. They are trying to contact you guys here is the link:
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?p=564616#post564616

1:44 PM

 
Anonymous sex shop said...

It can't work as a matter of fact, that's exactly what I consider.

12:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. http://www.iessaywriter.com/

10:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home