Animators by day Animation teachers by night.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Improvimation




I wanted to talk a bit about what we are doing at the Academy this semester. This semester, Scott Clark and I recorded 4 improv actors doing random scenes. We then picked the best one out of 20 or so skits and are animating to it. The students are in charge of every aspect of the process. We started by doing visual development. Then tasks were assigned to each student. Some Model, Some are doing layout etc... We have cast out the scenes and the students are beginning animation. Each of them will have a chunk of very juicy shots to animate. The dialogue they are animating to is full of great stuff. It give them the opportunity to animate something original with interesting characters. Granted, the story is improvised, so it aint Bambi but its good and alot can be learned. Scott Clark coined the term "Improvimation" I think its a great way to generate content, especially on the student level. Alot of the time, students take dialogue clips from movies. Unless they are done really well, most of them are lack luster. Expect to see the final film at the end of the semester.

The image is of one of our characters "The Captain" It is a skit involving three characters.

-Andrew

12 Comments:

Blogger Dennis DeMercer said...

That character rocks! Can't wait to see the film!

9:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the approach you're taking here, it sounds really fun! I'm actually an online student through the academy of art (in animation). Do you also take part in the online education or stick with the in-class stuff? Thanks.

7:40 AM

 
Blogger Dr. Gordon said...

The classes we do are mostly through the academy. We dont do online classes as of yet. What is the online animation program like at the academy? Just wondering if you get the proper feedback. Who crits your work? Is it as good as animation mentor???

-Andrew

10:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a good way to work for student animators. To just have some dialogue to work with and make up the rest of the acting. I'm curios about this Academy. It may seem obivios to some but I don't know what academy this is. Do you have a website where I can check it out or something?

Thomas

11:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I figured I'd set up a blog so I could be better contacted (if you want) in reference to the academy of art stuff. Honestly, I just started at the Academy of Art (www.academyart.edu) so I'm just in the beginning drawing classes. So far it's been really cool. Definitely much better than I thought (I was worried that learning something like drawing would be much better in a classroom setting). But, we take digital pics of our drawings and then submit them to the instructor. Then the instructor (and classmates) provides feedback (both written and recorded audio). It seems to work pretty well. For my class they also sent CD-ROMs with the instructor demonstrating how to do certain drawings and other tutorials. I can't wait to get going in the animation stuff, should be cool! I actually thought about doing Animation Mentor but I wanted to build my fine arts (mainly drawing) background first. However, if I really had a choice, I'd probably much rather be on campus at the Academy of Art, it sounds like they have a lot of stuff going on with the art/animation community in San Francisco (I was a little bummed to miss the 'Making of Cars' presentation last week on campus).

1:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the hands on your character! They utterly make the pose.

7:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karazykayhill,

The "Making of Cars" was this week, actually today (Monday). They might have had another presentation, which I don't know about. The "making of Cars" was great, becaus ethey explained every aspect of making a movie. From beginning to end.

I am also a animation student at the academy. This is actually my last semester and so far I have had great classes and teachers.

11:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! Thanks for the info, glad to hear you've enjoyed the program.
Grant

6:51 AM

 
Blogger bclark said...

Great idea about filming the improve actors. did you do it as part of their normal show or how did you set it up to film them.. I used to teach and still do when I have time so I would love to hear more about it.

2:16 PM

 
Blogger Leif said...

Wow...that's much more appealing than Norman :) Great job guys! I can't wait to see more.

11:28 AM

 
Blogger Dr. Gordon said...

That is Norman, if you can believe it. The students did skin the body, but the rig is totally based off the model you and Morgan created. We do have a new model, but Norman has been working out great for the students. They really have taken the acting to another level with the model. You should be proud.

-Andrew

11:28 PM

 
Anonymous Diana said...

I saw really much worthwhile data above!

10:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home